On the 18th of December 2013 a memorial dedicated to Dave was erected on Pohe Island, Whangarei looking out over the Whangarei Harbour.
David Alfred Cuham QSM
Tremendously proud Northlander, visionary engineer, business leader, member of the Whangarei District Council 1989-1998 and a Northpower Trustee 1993-2010.
Dave founded Culham Engineering in 1958. His technical innovation saw him acclaimed nationally and his company became one of Whangarei’s largest employers, training and supporting hundreds of Northlander’s. Passionate sportsman, tradesman, entrepreneur, pilot, farmer, family man, QSM recipient and lover of all things Northland, Dave was an unstinting supporter of the community, making major contributions over many years to community groups and youth sport to encourage healthy and fulfilling lifestyles among Northlander’s.
As a Councillor he was instrumental in the development of the Whangarei Town Basin area and championed the second harbour crossing, finally completed in 2013. In honour of this, and of his unparalleled contribution to Whangarei and Northland, the approach road to the crossing was named Dave Culham Drive.